As you're going through the adoption process, you will likely incur expenses along the way. If you've enrolled in an Adoption Assistance Program (AAP), you can file for reimbursements for those eligible expenses.
If you are going through a domestic adoption, you can submit claims as the eligible expenses occur. For a foreign adoption, the adoption must be successfully completed before reimbursements can be paid.
To submit a reimbursement claim, complete the AAP Reimbursement Claim Form (below) and send it, along with the necessary receipts and supporting documentation, to CareFirst by uploading it on the member portal for the fastest and most secure processing. You can also send them via mail, fax, or secure email.
Eligible reimbursement expenses
You can submit claims for expenses that have occurred in the past as long as the expense happened after your AAP's effective date.
Complete the AAP Reimbursement Claim Form for the expenses you incurred and collect the receipts that align with the expenses.
The fastest and most secure way to process your reimbursement is to upload your documentation and file your claim online in the member portal. However, if you prefer, you can also send the adoption assistance reimbursement claim form and receipts to CareFirst via mail, fax, or secure email.
To submit a reimbursement claim online:
- Sign in at www.carefirst.com/myaccount and select your spending account profile..
- Choose Get Reimbursed from the I Want To… menu.
- If you have more than one account, select AAP account, then click Next.
- Enter the amount you would like to request, then click Next.
- Add or select a bank.
- Add the date of service.
- Enter the name of the service provider (the field below for the service provider tax ID is optional).
- Click Next.
- Attach your form and receipts.
- Click Next.
- Review and accept the terms by checking the I certify box.
- Click Submit.
Your documentation will need to include the following items:
- Date of service
- Name of the dependent being adopted (if known)
- Name of the service provider
- Type of service
- The amount you were charged for the service
Attachments must be less than 15MB in size and in one of the following file formats: JPG, PDF, TIFF, PNG, or BMP.
You can also request reimbursement by mailing in a paper adoption assistance reimbursement claim form and copies of the receipts. Do not mail original receipts. This method will take longer. Mail to:
P.O. Box 982814, El Paso, Texas, 79998-2814
To receive your reimbursement faster, sign up for direct deposit by logging into your account at hellofurther.com.
Fax the adoption assistance reimbursement claim form and receipts to: 866-231-0214.
Send via secure email only to: CareFirst.Documents@HelloFurther.com.