Skip to main content
CareFirst Learning Site

Enrolling in a DCAP

In order to enroll in a DCAP, the account must be offered through an employer. Your employer or benefits administrator will guide you through enrollment. As part of this enrollment, you'll need to elect the amount of funds you want to set aside for the plan year. You can find guidance for determining how much to set aside on this page.

How to enroll

Your employer may ask you to fill out your DCAP elections in an employee benefits system, or you may be provided a form to fill out for enrollment. If you need the DCAP enrollment form, you can find one at the bottom of this page.

Determining your election amount

When you choose an DCAP, you will be required to indicate the amount you want to set aside for this year. The IRS sets limits on how much you can contribute to a DCAP. The following limits apply:

  • $2,500 for married parents filing taxes separately
  • $5,000 for married parents filing taxes jointly (this amount can be split between parents if both are offered a DCAP; however, the total amount can’t exceed $5,000 between them)
  • $5,000 for a single parent

Keep in mind that you cannot change your election amount throughout the year, unless there has been a qualifying life event.  Any unused funds in your account after the claims filing deadline will be forfeited.

  • Was this article helpful?